Monday, August 15, 2005

Unexpected Effect...

Here is a letter that I was given today by a guy who is leaving my army unit after 8 years of service, I've only know him 5, but this was totally unexpected:

Chris,
Long have I enjoyed serving around you. There are times when you know exactly how to break the tension w/ the right humorous comment. I thought I would leave you with a few thoughts as I prepare to leave the unit & probably the Armed Forces.
I remember the first time we met vividly, or at least, when you came back from basic training. You were so new and waiting for someone to lead and take charge. That's how you seemed to me anyway, so hopeful and wanting. I'm sorry that the leadership wasn't there. It must have been hard for you to come down to that realization. I know you've become cynical towards the leadership, and I really don't blame you for it. But try, every once in a while, to have a little bit of hope. Hope that things will get better, that that life will improve, and hope that the command staff will get a damn clue. That last one may be a bit of a stretch, for all of us. Additionally, dont get stuck in the rut of HHC life. They're never going to promote us, so go somewhere where they will. It might be hell for a while, but it can't be worse than Iraq. You have the seed of good leadership within you. You could be the next Captain McNeil so easily. I know it's there. I can see it. Unlock that potential, run with it, and you will go farther than you could possibly imagine.
A few final thoughts. We lived in a tent, shared meals & missions, got into trouble (remember the shower incident w/ Tallerico in Iraq?), all this and more we have done together. Even before we left for Iraq, I knew I could always count on you, Poulson, and Ray to watch my back if we ever had to. And until Iraq, I never thought that would be tested. But it was. You, YOU!!, had my back when it was absolutely needed. You really did, and I don't know if there was enough thanks that I can give to you for that. But I will say this: I owe you one.
Lastly, you can never know the measure of a man until you have seen his actions. I have seen your actions, and they are mostly good. Should I die before you, I should like to stand as a witness for you before the Judgement Bar. For, because of your actions and the things we have been through, thou art my brother forever more. I really mean that. Thanks for the memories.

Spc. Nathan Shumway

Wow. I can still make a difference. You have restored my self-esteem in my abilities to raise the quality of life for others. Thanks Nate. Now I owe you one.

1 comment:

. said...

It's amazing what we do without even realizing it. :)